10 crew members // 7 nationalities
– Skipper – Paulo Mirpuri – Portugal – As an amateur skipper in his first ocean crossing, the chairman of the Mirpuri Foundation seeks to put into practice the values that guide the profile of the foundation – determination, persistence, team spirit, hope and the courage to face challenges and overcome difficulties, with the certainty that everything is possible when work, commitment and pleasure meet in a single common purpose.
A sailor since the age of 14, Paulo Mirpuri has experience in coastal sailing and solo sailing in various types and classes of sailing boats, from Olympic boats such as Lasers, to cruising yachts more than 50 metres in length, monohulls and multihulls, in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans.
– Project Manager – Johannes Schwarz – Austria – Owner of VOR70 Green Dragon and professional sailor with more than 160,000 nautical miles of offshore sailing. Sailing experience in 50-foot yachts and especially yachts from the Volvo Ocean Race fleet (VO60 and VO70) in various international races, including Rolex Middle Sea Race, Hong Kong Challenge Round the World Race and Barcolana. Technical director of the Austrian Whitbread Challenge.
– Watch captain and mainsail trimmer – Gerwin Jansen – Netherlands – Experienced professional sailor in the Melges 24 class (two-time Dutch and world champion) in international regattas, such as the North Sea Regatta, and in ocean events such as the Rolex Middle Sea Race and the Rolex Sydney Hobart Race.
– Helmsman and Team Manager – Enrico Civello – Italy- Professional sailor with two Atlantic crossings on his CV and more than 50,000 miles travelled on board sailing yachts. Specialist in the maintenance of motors, spars, generators and other equipment.
– Helmsman – Luís Mirpuri – Portugal – Ocean skipper and recreational navigator on several routes in Portugal, North Africa and Cape Verde. Experience in motor boats and sailboats, between 33 and 60 feet.
– Bowman, trimmer and pitman – Filip Pietrzak – Poland – Professional sailor who has taken part in various international races (Giraglia Race, Rolex Sydney-Hobart Race, Hong Kong Hainan Race, China Sea Regatta, King Cup Regatta, Phuket-Thailand, etc.). Experienced bowman, trimmer and pitman, as well as skipper for sailing projects in Poland and the UK.
– Permanent crew member – Luca Salerno – Switzlerland – Versatile sailor, with extensive experience on board monohulls and multihulls, as well as co-manager of sailing projects, such as Shuttle 31, and VOR70 Green Dragon itself; sailboat and motorboat instructor on Swiss lakes. He is also the manager of a non-profit sailing organisation – Fossailing.
– Trimmer and helmsman – Bram Vanderbiest – Belgium – Sailor since a young age and professional crew member in the last 8 years as boat captain in several races such as Rolex Middle Sea Race, Key West Race Week, Phuket King’s Cup Regatta.
– Cook and grinder – Giani Iura – Italy – During the last 5 years crewing several delivery trips and charters in the Mediterranean and Caribbean and hoping to improve his skills on this atlantic crossing.
– Onboard Reporter – Giulio Canale – Italy – Professional sailor and skipper on cruising yachts (Hanse 455, Bavaria 37, Grand Soleil 46) on board which he has sailed various routes off the coast of Croatia, as well as lengthy cruises with his family in the Mediterranean and Adriatic from 1989 to 2009. He has also taken part in the classic Barcolana regatta, in Trieste, Italy.
Official sponsors of the transatlantic crossing:
Mirpuri Foundation – main sponsor
Photos by Jorge Leal
Communication Officer – Nysse Arruda (email@example.com)
Expeditions — 7 Junho 2018
Through the Eyes of the Leopard
Through the Eyes of the Leopard is a project supported by the Mirpuri Foundation that comprises three expeditions to the Caucasus. Designed to photograph the Persian Leopard and the natural...